The Port Arthur Retriever Club was established in 1950 as a club for the advancement of the retriever breeds through the avenue of competitive field trials.
The club was founded primarily by serious duck hunters who wanted to spend more time with their retrievers and develop the breed beyond the norm. People like Willard & Dutch Higgs, Joe Savant, Gordy Moss, Lee & Marjorie Broussard had the determination to get this club started.
We held the second AKC sanctioned field trial west of the Mississippi River, preceded by The Lone Star Retriever Club by only one week.
Today the club is still striving to develop the retriever to the maximum of its ability.